Sunday, March 25, 2018

Sydni's Sunday in Stockholm

Today is Sunday, March 25, which is a free day to hang out with our hosts and just go around to different places in Sweden. Yesterday, I learned that today is actually the start of summer, so everyone is Sweden loses an hour. At this time, when I just woke up, 10 am, yesterday it would have been 9 am at this moment in time, if that makes sense. After I woke up, Lovisa, my host, her little brother, Carl, her little sister, Lilly-Mathilde, their parents and I had breakfast. I personally ate a croissant and bread with salami, red bell peppers, cream cheese, and homemade strawberry jam. I also ate some fruit and drank orange juice. 

Later on, we all went to a birthday party for a little boy, Jillian, who was turning 2 and found out that they were having another baby. I got to eat sandwich cake for the first time, which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: bread with stuff inside it, stack on top of each other and then topped off with shrimp, salmon, lemon, lettuce, and fish eggs. I tried it and it was pretty good, although not my favorite, which Lovisa agreed with as well. 

We stayed there for a little bit, talking, eating, and taking photos, and made plans with Pim, and her student, one of my friends, Janelle, and Smilla, and one of my other friends, Rylie to go to the Mall of Scandinavia. We got there at around 2:30 and walked around to look inside, also seeing other students around the huge mall as well. The first thing we did was eat frozen yogurt. I had raspberry, which I think is a really popular and key flavor and fruit in Sweden and vanilla topped of with granola and kiwi. Then, the shopping began. 


I bought a lot of things including two shirts, two mugs, and a lot of Swedish candy for my friends and family back home. It was cool to go to stores that I have never been before, special to Europe and Sweden, and to find some that were the same as back home. We went to shops like Åhléns, Pull and Bear and much more. We ate at La Pasta Veloce, which was an Italian, dine-in restaurant located inside the mall where I got the pesto pasta with chicken, my usual at every other Italian restaurant. After we finished, we looking in some more shops and said goodbye to Smilla and Rylie. 

Our day ended running. Lovisa, Pim, Janelle, and I were sprinting to catch the train which we made right on time. After the first stop, we got off and Pim and Janelle left. Lovisa and I then took a bus where we met her dad and were off to go back home. One thing that I did learn about the people in Sweden was that they walk super fast. Maybe it is because it is cold and they want to get out of the wind, or people in our country walk abnormally slow, but they walk very fast. It was a fun day for me, not only because I got to go shopping, but because I got to get to know some of the hosts as well. I would think that I made some strong connections with some of them, and consider them my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment